Instrumental Lessons and Music Groups for 2017
INSTRUMENTAL LESSONS for 2017
Experience in music is a valuable component of education. Such involvement contributes to students’ development in numerous ways. This is regularly and repeatedly reported in educational research and is recognised in New Zealand with the provision of instrumental music lessons by the Ministry of Education. Specialised and experienced itinerant music teachers deliver these lessons onsite. We are lucky here at St Bernard’s College to have some of the best music tutors in the Wellington region.
The number of hours allocated to the school for instrumental tuition is roll‑related. These hours are supplemented to keep group numbers low and for this, a fee of $100 is charged during Term 1. Payment is arranged through the office. Students are expected to take their lessons seriously with home practice, school involvement and regular attendance. Attendance and progress are monitored with rolls and concerts throughout the year. In 2017, parents and caregivers can also expect a quick email home each term from the music tutor. The first step is to indicate your son’s interest in instrumental tuition at school. This can be done by completing forms on the website by 9th DECEMBER 2016.
These music lessons are provided for groups of students. Group numbers depend on availability, levels of contribution and commitment, subject choices etc. Lessons are held during school time. A timetable outside the Music Room indicates lesson times for the term. A student’s lesson time will change/rotate each week so that the same school lesson is not missed. Students need to keep up with regular class work to maintain a place in the instrumental tuition programme.
It is helpful to have an instrument to practise on at home but not essential. A committed student could practise before or after school on an instrument here in the Music department. Saxophones and clarinets can be hired from Musicworks for a reasonable annual fee. Please let Ms Horner know if you are interested in hiring an instrument.
Please complete the form INSTRUMENTAL LESSONS for 2017 to indicate interest in these.
MUSIC GROUPS OPTIONS for 2017
- St Bernard’s Vocal Outreach/Choir. This is open to all students who enjoy singing from Years 7-9. Rehearsals will run weekly as a part of the instrumental teaching programme. Ms Horner and a music tutor will direct and manage this group of students. Performances will be regular and varied.
- St Bernard’s Jazz Band. This is open to all students who play a woodwind, brass, guitar, bass or percussion instrument. Rehearsals will run weekly as a part of the instrumental programme. Woodwind tutor, Frankie Curac, will direct this group.
- Rock Bands. These are an option for all students who play a rock band instrument – or something different that can be used in a rock band! Rehearsals will run weekly as a part of the instrumental programme. Drum or bass tutor, Michael Jensen or Peter Crisp, will direct these groups.
- Pops Orchestra. This is an option for students who play in a rhythm section (bass, guitar, piano, drum kit) and for those who play string instruments (ie. Violin, viola, cello, string bass). It will play modern arrangements of pop and classical music. Rehearsals will run weekly as a part of the instrumental programme. Ms Horner and a music tutor will direct and manage this group.
- St Bernard’s Ukulele Festival Group. This is an option for Year 7-8 students and will run in Term 1 only. The group will then participate in a regional music festival, here at St Bernard’s College in 2017. Ms Horner will direct and manage this group.
Commitment to these groups for the year is an expectation except where indicated otherwise. It is the director’s responsibility to make it fun and a rewarding learning experience, but it is the student’s responsibility to attend rehearsals and performances, and to practise in between rehearsals. We would appreciate your support in this matter and suggest you explain this to your student as necessary.
Please complete the form MUSIC GROUPS OPTIONS for 2017 to indicate interest in these.
And by the way, keep an ear out for NOAH’S ARK – our 2017 school musical. This will be staged at the Little Theatre later in Term 2. Musicians, dancers and actors will be welcomed. Auditions for main parts will occur in Term 1. Students need to respond to updates in the notices if interested.
I am looking forward to a busy, rewarding and musical 2017 here at St Bernard’s College! Meanwhile, happy holidays to you all.