All students are welcome to pop in to our offices for information or to make an appointment for an interview. Parents are also encouraged to contact us if you have any queries.
Emma Bull – HOD Pathways and Careers
Check out our new website
Information for Seniors
- Careers NZ
- NZ Government – Connected: Education & Training
- Thinking about university? A guide for New Zealand students, parents and whānau
- Careers NZ – Helping with NCEA subject choice
- Careers NZ – Subject Matcher: Match subjects to jobs
- Careers NZ – Why STEM subjects are important
- Careers NZ – NCEA credits needed for tertiary study, apprenticeships & training
- Careers NZ – Apprenticeships Info
- Careers NZ Career Quest- Questionnaire helps you find some career options
- Industry Training Organisations (ITO’s) Directory
- Just the Job Videos
- Tertiary Education Commission (TEC) – Targeted Training and Apprenticeships Fund (TTAF) info.
For additional scholarships available for school leavers please see the MoneyHub NZ Scholarships Guide
- Universities NZ
- Victoria University of Wellington (VUW)
- VUW On-Line Open Day
- University of Auckland
- University of Otago
- University of Canterbury
- Lincoln University
- Massey University
- University of Waikato
- Auckland University of Technology (AUT)
- StudyLink Student Loans
We cannot stress enough the importance of your son getting his drivers licence. Apart from being an important qualification for both part-time and full time employment he can also achieve credits while still at school.
Learners Licence – eligible for standard 29363 (2 credits at L1)
Restricted Licence- eligible for standards 29363 & 29364 (4 credits at L2)
Full Licence – eligible for previous two plus standard 29365 (2 credits at L2)
These can be applied for by seeing Ms Bull at the Careers Room with your licence.
Practice theory tests https://www.drivingtests.co.nz/
- As used in the SBC Pathways class for many years.
- FREE practice tests to help you track your progress and prepare for the real test.
Or try the NZTA Drive on-line & smartphone app at the Drive interactive road code.
- Provides the theory training you need in an interactive and structured way. It’s FREE too.
Useful pages on the NZTA website:
There are some helpful VIDEOS at the bottom of the page!
We usually provide a limited number of driving lessons utilizing a professional driving school during the school terms.
The lessons are given in a manual car as a manual license is still preferred in the trades and some other popular jobs. Previous experience in a manual car is not required,
Lessons are normally on Tuesday & Thursdays at 1pm for 1 hour shared between 2 students who receive 30 minutes each.
Naturally students must have their Learner Licence to be eligible and bring it to every lesson.
If your son wishes to be added to the list please ask him to see Ms Bull in the Careers Office.
Note that places are limited and there is usually a waiting list by Term 2.
Career Pathways Planning:
Looking to a future beyond school, seniors need:
• An IRD number
• A personal bank account
• A restricted drivers licence
Our Gateway programme is underway. This programme gives students real life working experience and prepares them for places in industry. We have several students indicating interest in trades.
We would appreciate any tradesmen who would provide a day a week unpaid work experience for a student to please phone or email:
Emma Bull: 560 9250 ext 877 or email@example.com
NZTA Drive videos for young drivers.
Critical errors in Restricted and full licence tests.
How to pass the full licence test. Useful for the Restricted test too!
To keep up to date with all that is going on at St Bernard’s College download the school app from the App Store or Google Play.
1. Open App Store or Google Play
2. Search for SchoolAppsN
3. Download the app