Welcome to the Science Department, a place to become informed about the amazing world we live in!
We have recently seen how important it is for all of us, from politicians to students, to possess two great scientific skills: knowing a little bit about how things work, and collecting and making sense of evidence to make smart decisions.
This is the power we want to give all our students, so they can go confidently into an unpredictable world knowing they can make some sense of it.
Our science teachers enjoy opportunities to work with students, exploring the many interesting branches of science such as physics, chemistry, biology, earth and space science and more. We also help students develop their investigating skills by challenging their creativity, attention to detail and perseverance.
We hope these learning opportunities offered by our teachers will be valued by all students that come through our door, whether they stay with us until the end of year 11 or beyond, all the way to year 13 and university entrance.
We are proud of our ability to offer a good science education to St Bernard’s students. Here are some of the things we think are our strengths.
- A tight knit team of enthusiastic science teachers who love sharing ideas and exploring the best ways to engage students in science learning.
- Brand new science labs that are famously well resourced with books and science equipment, and an expert science technician to support practical science learning at all year levels.
- An extensive program of science education outside the classroom for most year levels.
- Connections with tertiary education providers and science organizations, which allows us to bring in guest science speakers.
- One of the country’s top physics teachers in David Housden, and specialist teachers in all the core senior sciences: physics, chemistry and biology.
- A genuine desire in our science teachers to continue developing online learning post lockdown, so we can help our students grow into independent science learners
Hear from our students and teachers about studying Science at St Bernard’s College
To keep up to date with all that is going on at St Bernard’s College download the school app from the App Store or Google Play.
1. Open App Store or Google Play
2. Search for SchoolAppsN
3. Download the app