Welcome to the Social Sciences Department!
Social Sciences enables students to participate in a changing society as confident, critical, informed and responsible citizens. Social Sciences helps students to understand their world, and endeavours to give them the skills, knowledge and understanding necessary to play their part in society.
Social Sciences provides a skill and knowledge base in the following subject based strands:
- Social Studies, History, Commerce and Geography.
The Social Sciences Department runs the following programmes
- Year 7 and 8 Integrated Studies (in partnership with the English Department).
- Social Studies at Years 9 and 10.
- History from Year 10 through to Year 13.
- Geography at Years 11 to 13.
The department also runs the following field trips:
- Year 9 Parliament and Wellington Day Trips.
- Year 10 Holocaust Centre visits.
- Year 10 History, New Zealand Rugby Museum, Palmerston North
- During the Centenary of World War One, the department ran field trips to the Gallipoli exhibition at Te Papa and the Great War Exhibition at the War Memorial Park.
Social Sciences is a fun and enjoyable department. We look forward to your son being part of the Social Sciences Learning Experience!
Hear from our students and teachers about studying Social Science at St Bernard’s College
To keep up to date with all that is going on at St Bernard’s College download the school app from the App Store or Google Play.
1. Open App Store or Google Play
2. Search for SchoolAppsN
3. Download the app